Director of Horticulture, Paul Zammit’s top choices and all-around favourite plants which are much-loved by pollinators:
- Monarda (Beebalm or Bergamot), in particular Monarda didyma (beebalm), M. fistulosa (Wild Bergamot) and punctata (spotted bergamot)
- Cornus alternifolia (Alternateleaf dogwood), flowers much loved by bees, beetles, flies and butterflies. The Fruit is a favorite food for birds
- Asclepias tuberosa, (Butterfly weed) and Asclepias incarnate (swamp milkweed)
- Liatris spicata (Blazing Star)
- Alliums (Ornamental onions), all sorts, both early, mid and late flowering selections
- Solidago, Goldenrod, Solidago juncea (early goldenrod), S. nemoralis (Grey Goldenrod), S. speciosa (Showy goldenrod)
This selection of plants will provide a nice mix of early, mid- and late-flowering plants that will continue to invite and feed pollinators in your garden.