JOIN OUR TEAM!
Director of Development (Full-time)
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Director of Development plays a strategic role in developing a culture of philanthropy and support. The Director will design, direct and execute a multi-faceted annual fund program that builds communities of support and attracts high impact philanthropy to the TBG’s strategic priorities, leading the organization towards long-term financial sustainability.
An entrepreneurial mindset and strategic intent are necessary.
- Fully participates with senior leadership and the Board in setting strategy and policy;
- Creates an annual fund development strategy that fully engages the organization in delivering increased revenue to the TBG’s strategic priorities;
- Acts as the TBG representative when in discussions with organizations regarding sponsorship or major gifts;
- Demonstrates teamwork and collaboration with peers on various projects and tasks.
- Builds a diverse base of engaged donors, sponsors and partners through an innovative program that attracts funds to the TBG’s annual operations and special projects and builds communities of support;
- Creates and executes a full complement of fundraising programs, including major gift and program initiatives, sponsorship, grant writing, planned giving and special events;
- Sets, monitors and reports on fundraising goals and metrics that are achieved with the full participation of staff and volunteers.
- Provides strategic and operational support to standing committees of the Board (and other committees) as needed;
- Ensures Raiser’s Edge and other information management systems are fully utilized to effectively enter, track and compile donor information and ensures that a moves management system is effectively recorded and updated;
- Works with the marketing team to improve donor cultivation funnel strategies that optimize each level of giving; increases donations and effectively stewards donors to become lifelong supporters of the organization;
- Recruits, leads, supervises, coaches and mentors a small team of development volunteers and staff to achieve mutually agreed performance targets.
Education and Professional Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in business, marketing & communications or equivalent. CFRE designation is an asset.
- Active involvement in the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) is desirable.
- Five to seven years of experience as a fundraising and strategic implementation professional in progressively senior roles. Management experience is required.
- Demonstrated experience in building and expanding prospect pipelines to ensure the sustainability of annual fundraising.
- Demonstrated experience creating, leading and monitoring successful comprehensive annual fund development programs and securing in-kind support.
- Results oriented with a proven track record for achieving revenue targets.
- Experience working with membership-based organizations such as museums, cultural, environmental or educational institutions would be an asset.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and CRM databases including Raiser’s Edge.
- A thorough understanding of the non-profit sector and regulations governing charitable giving.
Personality and Attributes
- Goal-oriented and an entrepreneurial mindset required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal relationships and strong collaboration skills with all key stakeholders.
- Attention to detail, responsive and adherent to deadlines. Excellent time management, organization and planning skills.
- Strong sense of accountability, commitment towards measuring outcomes and ability to work in a results-oriented culture.
- Demonstrated initiative and autonomy.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and manage competing priorities.
- Maintains and communicates a positive attitude, exercising diplomacy and good judgement.
Application for consideration
Please send your resume and covering letter outlining your interest in this role to: HR@torontobotanicalgarden.ca
TBG is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment. In accordance with relevant legislation including the Ontario Human Rights and Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, a request for accommodation will be considered throughout the hiring process.