JOIN OUR TEAM
We do not have any job openings at the moment. Please come back again later.
FINANCIAL ANALYST (FULL TIME)
Toronto Botanical Garden is embarking on an exciting landmark capital expansion to achieve education, display, conservation and research across a 35-acreage footprint that will serve +1 million visitors a year. Botanic gardens play an increasingly important role in the 21st century: they are public institutions best positioned to provide knowledge and understanding of the world of plans and the importance of plants and healthy ecosystems to all other life on earth. The City of Toronto – a leading global city and currently the City that is now outpacing other tech hubs across North America, will finally have its first fully developed Botanic Garden.
As the Toronto Botanical Garden expands its managerial oversight across 35 acres, TBG is scaling up as an organization in order to achieve sustained organizational performance as a modern, world-class living museum. TBG is modernizing systems and practices and the financial analyst will be an important role in supporting the sustained growth of the organization.
Toronto Botanical Garden is a registered charitable organization, governed by a Board of Directors.
This position looks after the full cycle bookkeeping tasks for Toronto Botanical Garden, analyzing the financial status by collecting, monitoring, and studying data and provide timely financial reports to the Senior Management team for review. The position reports into the Chief Administrative Officer.
The Financial Analyst is a business partner to all business arms of the Toronto Botanical Garden:
- Responsible for maintaining appropriate controls over financial processes and ensuring new transactions and expanding scope of business activities.
- Responsible to provide relevant information to and manage interactions with external auditors.
- Maintains financial database by entering, verifying, and backing up data.
- Performs monthly reconciliations by comparing and correcting data.
- Creates and enters monthly cost allocation entries to ensure administrative costs have been allocated to each departmental budget according to the cost sharing model.
- Identifies financial status by comparing and analyzing actual results with plans and forecasts.
- Guides cost analysis process by establishing and enforcing policies and procedures; providing trends and forecasts; explaining processes and techniques; recommending actions.
- Improves financial status by analyzing results; monitoring variances; identifying trends; recommending actions to management. Recommends actions by analyzing and interpreting data and making comparative analyses.
- Increases productivity by developing automated accounting applications; coordinating information requirements.
- Assists the Senior Management Team with budget preparation and enters approved budgets into the financial system.
- Protects operations by keeping financial information confidential.
- Maintains technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing publications.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Post-secondary education in accounting.
- 1-3 years experience with full cycle bookkeeping in a corporate accounting environment
- Proficient in spreadsheets, databases, MS Office and financial software applications
- Outstanding presentation, reporting and communication skills
- Demonstrated analytical and reporting skills including the ability to identify problems, analyze and interpret data and make and defend recommendations.
- Superior and proven organizational and administrative skills, including an ability to work to deadlines.
- Superior and proven accuracy to detail required.
- Experience in a not for profit environment is an asset.
- Experience with Quickbooks an asset.
- Self-starter with ability to problem solve independently.
Email your resume in confidence to:
Sunny Pereira – Recruiting Manager, Robert Half Finance and Accounting, email@example.com
TBG is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment. In accordance with relevant legislation including the Ontario Human Rights and Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, a request for accommodation will be considered throughout the hiring process.