- This event has passed.
Through the Garden Gate: Riverdale
This annual tour will highlight beautiful private gardens in the east-end Toronto neighbourhood of Riverdale, known for its diverse community, abundant dining choices, quaint Victorian homes, and some pretty amazing gardeners! This is a high-density urban neighbourhood that is also blessed with an abundance of parkland where one can escape the hustle and bustle of big-city living. Riverdale Park is one of the largest green spaces in the city. Its steep hill has a spectacular view of the city and is a favourite location for sunset picnics. Withrow Park is a central hub and meeting place with a popular Saturday farmers market.
Saturday and Sunday, June 10 and 11, 2023 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Garden-goers will have the opportunity to visit more than 15 residential gardens, of varying sizes and themes. The self-guided format enables participants to discover the gardens at their own pace following a map and guide that contains descriptions of each featured garden. There is something new to discover and inspire behind every gate. A complimentary shuttle bus service is available for participants to “hop on and hop off” along the route, which is also very walkable. Back by popular demand will be live music in select gardens to enhance the fun and enjoyment of connecting with nature. Garden seekers will also have a chance to ask questions and learn something too! Knowledgeable Toronto Master Gardeners will be stationed in each garden and will be happy to answer plant and garden design questions. This is an outdoor event that can be enjoyed solo or with family and friends, strolling along the tree-lined streets, while skipping in and out of gardens. Come early to visit Withrow Farmers Market on Saturday or linger after the tour to shop or dine at one of the local restaurants in the Danforth Village. Your ticket (wristband) gives you access to:
- Beautiful private gardens in the Riverdale neighbourhood (Click here for our photo album)
- “Hop on, hop off” complimentary shuttle buses which circle the garden route
- Garden guide and map with descriptions of each garden as well as a comprehensive digital guide to making the most of your tour experience which includes the history of the area, full descriptions of the featured gardens, insider and neighbourhood tips, and more.
Music in the Garden is generously supported with a gift by Sheri Cohen
Plan your trip into the area.
- Click here for parking lots in the area
- Click here for TTC information. Please note there will be no subway service on Line 2 Bloor-Danforth between Broadview and Woodbine stations due to track work. Line 2 shuttle buses will operate, stopping at all subway stations.
- Click here for a google map to the headquarters at Holy Name Catholic School.
Tickets are limited and advance purchase is recommended. Tickets will be available for purchase at tour headquarters on the weekend of the event. The tour takes place rain or shine. Please dress for the weather.
If you have trouble with the checkout function, click here to go directly to our Eventbrite ticket page.
PREVIOUS MEDIA COVERAGE
- Garden Gawking in the Beaches, National Post by KC Hoard
- See how Beaches gardens grow in this year’s annual tour, Toronto Star by Mark Cullen and Ben Cullen
- Sanctuaries from climate change thrive in GTA backyards, Toronto Star by Carola Vyhnak
- Beach gardens to be featured in upcoming Through The Garden Gate tour, Beach Metro by Mary Fran McQuade
- Beauty and The Beach, Botanical Buzz by Lorraine Hunter
- Through the Garden Gate: a great summer tour, Toronto Star by Sonia Day
- Toronto’s ‘Through the Garden Gate’ Celebrates 30 Years! by Janet Davis
- Through the Garden Gate — 30 Gardens for 30 Years by Lorraine Hunter
- Through the Garden Gate: North Rosedale and Moore Park by Three Dogs in a Garden
- Through the Garden Gate: The Kingsway by Helen Battersby
- Break out those walking shoes, garden tour season has started by Sonia Day
- TBG’s Through the Garden Gate Tour in the Kingsway by Cristina da Silva
- Sneak Peak of the TBG’s Through the Garden Gate: The Kingsway by Barbara’s Garden Chronicles
TORONTO NEIGHBOURHOODS THE TOUR HAS VISITED
- 2023 – Riverdale
- 2022 – Wychwood
- 2021 – Postponed due to COVID-19
- 2020 – Postponed due to COVID-19
- 2019 – The Beach (photo gallery)
- 2018 – Windfields Estate ( photo gallery)
- 2017 – Rosedale North
- 2016 – The Kingsway (photo gallery)
- 2015 – Lawrence Park (photo gallery)
- 2014 – Hogg’s Hollow (photo gallery)
- 2013 – Forest Hill (photo gallery)
- 2012 – Rosedale (photo gallery)
- 2011 – Swansea Village (photo gallery)
- 2010 – The Beach
- 2009 – Beyond the Bridle Path
- 2008 – Riverdale
- 2007 – Wychwood Park and Davenport Ridge
- 2006 – Toronto Islands
- 2005 – Rosedale East
- 2004 – Rosedale
- 2003 – The Kingsway and Sunnylea
- 2002 – Lawrence Park
- 2001 – Bennington Heights & Moore Park
- 2000 – Rosedale
- 1999 – Grenadier Pond
- 1998 – Hogg’s Hollow
- 1997 – Spadina, Casa Loma & Davenport Hill
- 1996 – Riverview Drive, Teddington Park & Mason Blvd.
- 1995 – Shades of the Humber (Baby Point)
- 1994 – A Sunset tour of Arjay Crescent
- 1993 – Rosedale & Forest Hill
- 1992 – Lawrence Park
- 1991 – Hogg’s Hollow
- 1990 – Forest Hill & Belmont Street
- 1989 – Downtown Toronto Private Gardens
- 1988 – Downtown Toronto Private Gardens