Looking to learn more about designing with flowers? TBG’s Floral Design Certificate program offers a dynamic education experience around floral design either for your own enjoyment or for professional training. This series of hands-on integrated courses is taught by accredited floral design judges from the Garden Clubs of Ontario. Margaret Taylor, coordinator for the Floral Design Certificate program, is a past president of the Garden Club of Toronto and an internationally known and accredited floral design judge, teacher and demonstrator.
To achieve the Floral Design Certificate, students are required to attend eight courses of instruction over no more than six years. These courses are made up of five mandatory, and an additional three electives that can be chosen from a wide-variety of themes. Students begin with Introduction to Floral Design* and then Basic Floral Design* (in that order) as these provide the foundation knowledge, and are prerequisites to all other mandatory and elective floral design courses. When registering online, please register only if you have the stated prerequisite, otherwise a cancellation fee may apply.
To ensure the program develops students knowledge based on the same set of skills, TBG does not offer exemptions to those with outside experience.
- Introduction to Floral Design*
- Basic Floral Design*
- Creative Floral Design
- Modern Floral Design
- Miniature, Small and Large Floral Design
Electives (selections will vary from term to term)
- Special Occasion Florals
- Modern Design Techniques
- Manipulation Foliage
- Ikebana Design
- Designing with Glass
- Designing with Lilies, Roses, Orchids & Tropicals
To receive the Floral Design Certificate:
Students must register for the Floral Design Certificate, there is a one-time fee of $20 for registration.
- Students must have attended all five mandatory courses plus a minimum of three elective courses (totalling 96 hours of in-class learning) taken in a six-year period.
- Students are encouraged to strive for perfect attendance in all Floral Design classes in order to receive the certificate. We are unable to transfer students to future classes to make up for individual classes missed in a course; an additional course may be required.
- Students who believe they have acquired the necessary courses and would like to receive their certificate are asked to notify the Adult Education Coordinator (email@example.com) to verify their attendance records.
- Certification of the Floral Design program is optional. Registration for the certificate is not mandatory in order to take Floral Design courses for fun/personal achievement.
A graduation ceremony takes place at Toronto Botanical Garden each September when we invite all students eligible to graduate to attend and formally receive their certificate in person.
Floral Design Certificate Program