Title: Education Assistants (2 positions)
Supervisor: Children’s Education Supervisors
Duration: late October 2016 – March 17, 2017
Type: part-time at 24 hr/wk, with occasional 40 hr/wks and unpaid holiday break
Toronto Botanical Garden offers year round educational programs to schools, families and communities. The goal of Children’s Education at TBG is to foster an appreciation for nature by stimulating children’s’ curiosity through hands-on experiences. TBG’s mission is to connect people to plants and the natural world.
The successful candidate will team-teach one of two educational programs run by a TBG Educator at either Allan Garden Conservatory or the Toronto Botanical Garden. Both programs are offered free-of-charge to classes from high priority neighbourhoods. The programs are based on the life sciences strands in the Ontario science curriculum for grades 3 and 4. The program at Allan Gardens takes place in the Children’s Conservatory and adjacent greenhouses; the program at TBG takes place inside the children’s centre and outdoors in the Wilket Creek ravine.
- Co-teach a curriculum-based educational program for elementary students
- Assist with the planning, preparation and clean-up of TBG’s winter school programs
- Assist with the maintenance of program spaces
- Care for plants, vermicomposting worms, and other living creatures
- Leading volunteers and interns
- Some administrative duties
- Other duties as assigned
- Two years’ experience working with elementary school children or equivalent
- Relevant experience in environmental or outdoor education or equivalent
- Certified Teacher preferred (Ontario, out-of-province or abroad)
- Current Vulnerable Sector Screening and First Aid Certification preferred
- Experience working with volunteers
- Excellent teaching skills, creativity, patience, organization and flexibility
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Successful applicants will receive training prior to teaching school programs.
Posting closes 5 p.m., Friday, September 30. Thank you for your interest, however, only candidates scheduled for an interview will be contacted.
Please send a resume and covering letter in a single PDF with your name as the file name to:
Supervisor of Children’s Education, Community Programs