Title: Teaching Assistant, Children’s Programs
Position Type: Full-time, contract
Supervisor: Children’s Education Supervisor
Toronto Botanical Garden offers recreational and school programs in our outdoor Teaching Garden, as well as in the James Boyd Children’s Centre. Our goal is to stimulate children’s curiosity about nature and gardening through hands-on experience. Recreational programs are available for children from 6 months to 15 years. Our community outreach efforts include free programs for high needs day camps, a scholarship program for deserving students, as well as the donation of organic produce from the Teaching Garden. The Toronto Botanical Garden (TBG) requires an organized and enthusiastic Summer Teaching Assistant with camp experience to report to, and work with, the Children’s Education staff in delivering TBG’s summer nature day camps.
Summary of Tasks and Responsibilities:
The successful candidate will report directly to the TBG’s Children’s Education Supervisor. The Teaching Assistant will:
• Assist with the planning, preparation and teaching of nature-based summer camps for children between the ages of 3 to 15.
• Assist with the coordination of the Leaders-in-Training, and the LIT training module
• Assist with the planning and preparation of day camps for children from high needs communities through our Green Adventure program and Leadership Camp
• Assist in the general care and maintenance of the TBG classroom, including the creation of educational displays and care of live classroom pets
• Assist with the maintenance and care for the TBG Teaching Garden which includes a native wildflower garden, dinosaur garden, herb garden and an organic vegetable garden planted and harvested by children. Additional assistance harvesting and coordinating donated produce to the North York Harvest Food Bank
• Assist with planning, preparation and facilitation of special events and family days through the summer
Applicant Requirements :
This is an HRDC supported position targeted towards returning students:
• Applicants must be between 17 and 30 years of age at the start of employment.
• Applicants must be registered as a full-time secondary or post-secondary student during the preceding academic year and intending to return to school on a full time basis during the next academic year.
• Prospective candidates should be working toward a post secondary degree or diploma in education, early childhood education, environmental studies, ecology, biology or a related field.
This contract will run from the end of June until the end of August.
The successful candidate will be paid $11/hr.
Please send your cover letter and resume as a single PDF document with your name as the file name.
Interested candidates may direct their resume and cover letter to:
Supervisor, Children’s Education
We thank all those interested, and will contact only those selected for an interview.
Posting closes Monday, May 4, 2015