Title:Interim Children’s Education Coordinator
Position Type: Full-time, contract
Reports To: Supervisor of Children’s Education
Term: August 4, 2014 – May 29, 2015
The Toronto Botanical Garden (TBG) requires an organized, enthusiastic Children’s Education Coordinator to report to and work with the Children’s Education Supervisor in planning and implementing TBG’s extensive children’s programs. Toronto Botanical Garden offers recreational and school programs in our outdoor Teaching Garden, as well as in the James Boyd Children’s Centre, and at the Allan Gardens Children’s Conservatory during the winter. With the of goal stimulating children’s curiosity about nature and gardening through hands-on experience, the Interim Coordinator will design and deliver both school and recreational programming.
- Kindergarten to grade six classes participate in programs that are specifically designed to meet the Ontario Science curriculum
- Recreational programs are available for children aged 3 to 11 throughout the year
- Community outreach efforts includes two school visit programs for schools from priority neighbourhoods, free recreational programs for priority neighbourhood day camps, a scholarship program for deserving students, and the donation of vegetables from the Teaching Garden
- Develop and deliver school programs which follow KG-Grade 6 Ontario Ministry of Education curriculum guidelines
- Develop and deliver programs at Allan Gardens which follows the Ontario Ministry of Education guidelines for the Science and Technology curriculum for Grade 3 students from high needs communities.
- Develop and deliver teacher training meeting Ontario Ministry of Education guidelines
- Work with City of Toronto staff to ensure the successful implementation of the Allan Gardens program and promote a positive working relationship.
- Develop and deliver March Break and summer camps, special events and some weekend programs.
- Plan and facilitate Sprout Club nature programming for children ages 1-3 and their caregivers.
- Plan and facilitate half hour nature themed free story time for children ages 1-3 and their caregiver.
- Design, advertise, administrate and promote Green Adventure.
- Create and prepare public programs, including annual special events.
- Project management and administration duties include the preparation of budgets, registrations, and reports.
- Recruit, train and evaluate teacher candidates.
- Recruit, hire, and train volunteers and staff assistants for Allan Gardens and summer camps.
- Office administration such as taking and managing registrations, preparing reports, evaluations, and budgets.
- Assist with the design, implementation and maintenance of the Teaching Garden, including coordination of donations to the food bank.
- Care of houseplants, vermicomposters, and classroom pets in the JBCC.
- Maintain programming spaces, materials and systems.
- The preparation and distribution of marketing materials
- Participate as an active member of the Education Committee and its working groups.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ontario Teaching Qualifications at the primary, junior, or intermediate levels
- Experience in gardening or horticulture and a willingness to further this knowledge.
- Relevant experience in environmental or outdoor education or equivalent
- Working knowledge of Ontario Ministry of Education guidelines and successful development and implementation at one or more grade levels.
- Successful teaching experience with young children.
- Experience working with volunteers and/or student teachers.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Creativity and problem solving skills; energy and enthusiasm.
- Current police reference check required.
- First Aid & CPR certificate required.
Some flexibility in the work week, including weekend or evening work is required.
Posting closes 5 p.m., Wednesday, July 2, 2014. Thank you for your interest, however, only candidates scheduled for an interview will be contacted.
To apply please send a resume and covering letter in a single PDF with the applicant’s name as a title to:
Interim Supervisor of Children’s Education
Toronto Botanical Garden