Modern Design *NOW OFFERED IN THE EVENING*
Tuesdays, Nov 3 to 24, 6:30 to 9:30 p.m.
Public $190; Members $155
Explore the world of modern design through this structured series of teachings covering Modern Line, Modern Line Mass, Modern Mass and Layer Design. Students will be challenged to create unique arrangements that fit the mould of each particular style while showing personal flair.
Pre-requisites: Floral Design Fundamentals I & II
[PG15F30] Celia Roberts
Holiday Wreath Magic
Wednesday, Nov 25, 6 to 9 p.m.
Public $60; Members $50
Try your hand at making festive floral decorations to hang on your door during the holiday season. Learn how to create a variety of special floral designs for the festive season, with designs ranging from a stunning door wreath to lasting foliage swag. This course will give you the chance to have fun and show off your creativity to everyone who knocks at your door.
This course does not contribute to the Floral Design Certificate.
[PG15F40] Lillian Taggart
Floral Design is one of our most popular programs – here are some FAQ’s to see if it’s right for you!
Can I take Floral Design courses if I’ve never done it before?
- Yes! Our Floral Design courses are structured to welcome anyone/everyone with an interest in designing with flowers.
Can I choose from any of the available courses?
- To ensure the program develops students knowledge based on the same set of skills, the Floral Design Fundamentals I & Fundamentals II courses as prerequisites that are required to be taken first. Please only register for courses that you meet the requirements for, otherwise a cancellation fee may apply.
How long are the courses?
- Each course is structured to run with in-class learning one day a week, for three hours, over four weeks. Students are encouraged to strive for perfect attendance as there are no make up options for classes.
Are the flowers and hard materials included?
- Course fees do not include floral material or supplies. We require students to procure flowers and containers as part of the learning process. Once you have registered for a course, a specific floral material list with be provided that gives you several options. The list is a learning aid for selecting appropriate plant material for a design.
- You’ll require particular hard supplies for any/all courses. Below is the list of supplies recommended for both the Introductory and Basic courses. All of these supplies are available in the TBG Garden Shop:
- Snippy Tips I booklet (for fresh plant material)
- Ontario Judging and Exhibiting Standards booklet
- 8 cm (3″) kenzan (pinfrog), preferably with rubber base
- Stickum — 30 cm (12″) roll in green or white
- Narrow green waterproof tape — 0.6 or 1.3 cm (¼ or ½”)
- Standard oasis — 1 block
- Deluxe oasis — 1 block
- Chicken wire — 90 cm (3′) (prepackaged by the garden shop)
- Secaturs (straight- or curved-edged)
- Green floral wire, either 22 or 24 gauge (paddle, spool or stick)
- Container for floral arrangements*
*Containers cannot always be found in the shop specifically for courses, but are widely available in places such as garage sales, dollar stores, hardware stores and department stores, etc.
How much will the materials cost?
- Each student will have different costs depending on the design and materials chosen. Some students will purchase materials from a florist, or the grocery store while others may collect from their own gardens/houseplants.
What if I want to receive your Certificate in Floral Design?
- All Floral Design courses can be applied towards the certificate unless noted otherwise. Students are required to meet certain criteria before being eligible for the certificate, see more details here.
I already have experience with Floral Design and just wish to take one particular course – do I still need to take the Introductory?
- All students are required to attend the mandatory and elective courses in the required order above regardless of previous experience.