This series of hands-on courses is taught by accredited floral design judges from the Garden Clubs of Ontario, and is suitable for both personal and professional interest. All courses marked with the floral emblem can be applied to the Floral Design Certificate. Course fees do not include flowers or supplies unless otherwise stated. Students must purchase these on their own at a cost of $50 to $60 per class. A material list will be e-mailed prior to the start date.
*If you would like to be put on the email notification list for Spring/Summer 2017 course offering, please email firstname.lastname@example.org*
Classic Design Fundamentals II
Tuesdays, Feb. 7 to 28, 6:30 to 9:30 p.m.
Public $190; Members $155
In this follow up to Classic Design Fundamentals I, gain a deeper understanding of traditional design and plant material as well as the importance of colour and how to create different colour harmonies. Explore the concept and importance of asymmetry in a design and how this can be used to great effect. New design styles will be taught each week including a vertical line design, a Hogarth Curve and an asymmetrical mass design.
[PG17W09] Lillian Taggart
Advanced Miniature, Small and Large Design
Prerequisites: Five required courses.
Mondays, March 6 to 27, 6:30 to 9:30 p.m.
Public $190; Members $155
Apply modern design concepts and techniques to miniature, small and large designs and create exciting and dynamic designs in all sizes! This totally new approach will broaden your design horizons.
[PG17W14] Margaret Taylor
Floral Design is one of our most popular programs – here are some FAQ’s to see if it’s right for you!
Can I take Floral Design courses if I’ve never done it before?
- Yes! Our Floral Design courses are structured to welcome anyone/everyone with an interest in designing with flowers.
Can I choose from any of the available courses?
- To ensure the program develops students knowledge based on the same set of skills, the Floral Design Fundamentals I & Fundamentals II courses as prerequisites that are required to be taken first. Please only register for courses that you meet the requirements for, otherwise a cancellation fee may apply.
How long are the courses?
- Each course is structured to run with in-class learning one day a week, for three hours, over four weeks. Students are encouraged to strive for perfect attendance as there are no make up options for classes.
Are the flowers and hard materials included?
- Course fees do not include floral material or supplies. We require students to procure flowers and containers as part of the learning process. Once you have registered for a course, a specific floral material list with be provided that gives you several options. The list is a learning aid for selecting appropriate plant material for a design.
- You’ll require particular hard supplies for any/all courses. Below is the list of supplies recommended for both the Introductory and Basic courses. All of these supplies are available in the TBG Garden Shop:
- Snippy Tips I booklet (for fresh plant material)
- Ontario Judging and Exhibiting Standards booklet
- 8 cm (3″) kenzan (pinfrog), preferably with rubber base
- Stickum — 30 cm (12″) roll in green or white
- Narrow green waterproof tape — 0.6 or 1.3 cm (¼ or ½”)
- Standard oasis — 1 block
- Deluxe oasis — 1 block
- Chicken wire — 90 cm (3′) (prepackaged by the garden shop)
- Secaturs (straight- or curved-edged)
- Green floral wire, either 22 or 24 gauge (paddle, spool or stick)
- Container for floral arrangements*
*Containers cannot always be found in the shop specifically for courses, but are widely available in places such as garage sales, dollar stores, hardware stores and department stores, etc.
How much will the materials cost?
- Each student will have different costs depending on the design and materials chosen. Some students will purchase materials from a florist, or the grocery store while others may collect from their own gardens/houseplants.
What if I want to receive your Certificate in Floral Design?
- All Floral Design courses can be applied towards the certificate unless noted otherwise. Students are required to meet certain criteria before being eligible for the certificate, see more details here.
I already have experience with Floral Design and just wish to take one particular course – do I still need to take the Introductory?
- All students are required to attend the mandatory and elective courses in the required order above regardless of previous experience.