This series of hands-on courses is taught by accredited floral design judges from the Garden Clubs of Ontario, and is suitable for both personal and professional interest.
2016 FALL COURSES
Floral Design Fundamentals I
Public $186; Members $155
Due to high demand, TBG is offering this popular course three times in the fall. Learn how to select and condition flowers, how to use floral design supplies and how to achieve different types of design. Each week you will create one of the following designs: water viewing, table centrepiece, crescent and triangular mass. This course is the pre-requisite to all other courses in the Floral Design program. It is suitable for anyone who enjoys working with flowers. Students will have to purchase their own materials (extra cost).
Floral Design Fundamentals II
Must have taken Floral Design Fundamentals I
Public $186; Members $155
In this follow-up to Fundamentals I, participants gain deeper knowledge of plant material, colour theory and design. Discover a new design style each week: vertical line design, a hand tied bouquet, a Hogarth Curve and an asymmetrical mass design. Take home your creations and astonish your loved ones. Students will have to purchase their own materials (extra cost).
[PG16F25] Mondays, Oct. 17 to Nov. 7, 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. – Lillian Taggart (Sold Out)
Floral Design is one of our most popular programs – here are some FAQ’s to see if it’s right for you!
Can I take Floral Design courses if I’ve never done it before?
- Yes! Our Floral Design courses are structured to welcome anyone/everyone with an interest in designing with flowers.
Can I choose from any of the available courses?
- To ensure the program develops students knowledge based on the same set of skills, the Floral Design Fundamentals I & Fundamentals II courses as prerequisites that are required to be taken first. Please only register for courses that you meet the requirements for, otherwise a cancellation fee may apply.
How long are the courses?
- Each course is structured to run with in-class learning one day a week, for three hours, over four weeks. Students are encouraged to strive for perfect attendance as there are no make up options for classes.
Are the flowers and hard materials included?
- Course fees do not include floral material or supplies. We require students to procure flowers and containers as part of the learning process. Once you have registered for a course, a specific floral material list with be provided that gives you several options. The list is a learning aid for selecting appropriate plant material for a design.
- You’ll require particular hard supplies for any/all courses. Below is the list of supplies recommended for both the Introductory and Basic courses. All of these supplies are available in the TBG Garden Shop:
- Snippy Tips I booklet (for fresh plant material)
- Ontario Judging and Exhibiting Standards booklet
- 8 cm (3″) kenzan (pinfrog), preferably with rubber base
- Stickum — 30 cm (12″) roll in green or white
- Narrow green waterproof tape — 0.6 or 1.3 cm (¼ or ½”)
- Standard oasis — 1 block
- Deluxe oasis — 1 block
- Chicken wire — 90 cm (3′) (prepackaged by the garden shop)
- Secaturs (straight- or curved-edged)
- Green floral wire, either 22 or 24 gauge (paddle, spool or stick)
- Container for floral arrangements*
*Containers cannot always be found in the shop specifically for courses, but are widely available in places such as garage sales, dollar stores, hardware stores and department stores, etc.
How much will the materials cost?
- Each student will have different costs depending on the design and materials chosen. Some students will purchase materials from a florist, or the grocery store while others may collect from their own gardens/houseplants.
What if I want to receive your Certificate in Floral Design?
- All Floral Design courses can be applied towards the certificate unless noted otherwise. Students are required to meet certain criteria before being eligible for the certificate, see more details here.
I already have experience with Floral Design and just wish to take one particular course – do I still need to take the Introductory?
- All students are required to attend the mandatory and elective courses in the required order above regardless of previous experience.