Date(s) - Saturday, February 25, 2017
10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Toronto Botanical Garden
Bring your open-pollinated (non-hybrid) and heirloom seed to TBG’s second annual Seedy Saturday and go home with a collection of new seed. After registering your seeds, they will go on the seed exchange tables for swapping. Leftover seed from this event will be added to the TBG Seed Library.
Admission is FREE!
Seed will also be available for purchase from local seed vendors, so you can stock up for your 2017 garden. If it’s seed-saving and general garden advice you are after, look no further than the many educational displays, or attend an information session.
6 WAYS YOU CAN GET INVOLVED
- Bring seed in envelopes labeled with:
- Plant name (common and botanical name if you know them both)
- Year of harvest
- Place of harvest (postal code)
- Your name (if you wish)
- A bit about where the seed came from (if you wish)
- Register at the table and add your seed to those available for swapping
- Swap seeds – try to leave with around the same number that you brought
- Buy seeds from the vendors – you can use these for swapping as well if you’re not able to bring your own
- Learn about seed saving from presenters, library books, and other seed savers
- Bring some seed back next year!
- Visit the Garden Shop for a selection of seeds and other nature-inspired gift items
- Seed Trading in the Floral Hall
- Light lunch, snacks and treats available
- Seedy vendors & community partners (selling planting material, seeds, soil amendments, honey, etc)
- Free drop-in seed crafts and activities for children in TBG’s children’s centre including seed mosaics, seed sensory activities for toddlers along with other games and activities
WHAT IS SEEDY SATURDAY?
Seedy Saturday provides gardeners a chance to share their heirloom seed with one another to make sure it’s available for future generations. It’s also a great opportunity to discover varieties that are not available commercially. Click here to learn more about Seedy Saturdays.